Friday, October 3, 2008

Simplicity is highly overrated

1. The most recent example that comes to mind is when I purchased my cell phone. I bought the new voyageur, which I do like, but it has many features that I simply do not need or use. First, and the main reason I purchased this phone was because it has a touch screen. This may seem sensible at first, but when I really think about it, it creates more of a problem than making things easier. I have to constantly put on screen-lock as any touch in my pocket does something unwanted. Not only this, but it also is more difficult to use than a regular keyboard. Aside from the touch screen, there are many unused features such as mobile television. I will never want or be able to pay for it. Both of these are good examples of how the features at the beginning seemed “cool” or “new” but came to be more of a problem than anything.

2. Complexity is justified, when the article said it was. When the complexity sells the product. This is more of a producer point of view, but it does make sense. Companies to need to sell us on their products and if we are naturally inclined to purchase more complex items than how can they say that they will not create what sells. That is quite simply bad business. However, simplicity is most important when a product is actually being used. It seems that the best product would appear complex in the store, but be simply operated at home. This is a somewhat ridiculous notion but it does make sense based on the points provided in the article. If complex products sell, and simple products are better to actually use then my proposal does seem like a somewhat feasible solution.

3. “Simplicity is most important after the product is purchased…”
-Shanni
As I mentioned earlier, this seems a very valid point. Simplicity is only considered after the purchase is made. When compared at stores, products are displayed with price and a feature list, so that one can look and see what product accomplishes what the consumer needs. However, many products go above and beyond the needs of the consumer, but the consumer will still buy this product. Why? This occurs because in my opinion a consumer thinks well if I wanted it to, my product could do this. Not that it will ever need to, but it could. Overall, features sell. Businesses need to sell their products, so their products come with lots of features. Simplicity remains a second thought.

No comments: